The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re-fill question; adjusting refill schedule
Feb 24, 2014

I just started a new job for which I travel a lot for months at a time. My parents pickup my HIV Meds and send them to me wherever I am. My problem is that my refill for Andogel is not at the same time as my HIV meds. So they are having to go to the pharmacy twice a month and then send me two desperate packages. I haven't been able to ask the pharmacist about getting just one refill a month, which would make it easier, because I am out of town. Is there a way to get a waiver from the insurance or something like this so my parents just have to send me everything at once? Thanks for any insight.

Response from Mr. Chambers

There could be several ways to move the Androgel to match your other refills. I would suggest you or your parents start with the pharmacist. Depending on the policies at that pharmacy, they should be able to adjust the timing right there.

If not, you may have to contact the insurance carrier, although they tend to be less flexible.

Because Androgel is a topical gel that comes in a tube, it won't be as easy as if it were a pill/capsule prescriptions, but it should be possible. There may be different sizes of the tubes. Also, your pharmacist may work with you and your parents to refill Androgel a few days earlier (or later) each month so that its refill will adjust to match the other prescriptions after a few months.

Good luck, Jacques

What is Serum Control Mean on Western Blot
Itchy skin all over my chest back and head. HIV??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint