Long Term care Policies

Now that there is study after study showing that people with HIV have the same lifespans as everyone else WHEN will the Insurance companies get the memo. Do we need to lobby for this right?? Where and How?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Individual Long Term Care (LTC) policies are all medically underwritten. These policies cover custodial care, i.e. care at home or in a nursing home where they are not doing any particular treatment other than keeping you out of pain and providing your necessities of daily living.

Custodial care is not covered under health insurance or Medicare other than for brief periods in a hospice benefit. Medicaid does provide this coverage.

I agree with you that now that PLWHA have "normal" lifespans there is developing a potential need for LTC care as the population ages but, I'm not sure how successful it would be to try to make LTC policies available to everyone as health insurance is now under Obamacare.

Even the guaranteed coverage under Obamacare does not extend to life or disability policies or the catastrophic policies such as cancer, dread disease, etc. specialty policies.

It would be nice since PLWHA are living longer and finding early aging problems due to the medications, but I'm afraid that's a long time off if ever.

Jacques

my boy friend sick
hiver to usa