Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pre Employment Drug Screening and Atripla
Feb 7, 2014

I am an HIV positive man on Atrilpa who took a pre-employment drug screening urine test. Two years ago my NP told me that it would be okay to smoke marijuana because the potential for a false positive meant I wouldn't have to worry about the test. After submitting my urine test I tried an at home test and it came back positive. I am now terrified I will be denied the job and I have already given notice at my old job. I do have a letter from my provider stating that I am on a medication that can cause a false positive for THC. I know the lab that ran the test (Quest Diagnostics) will have an MRO call me and ask me about any medications I am taking that could cause a false positive. Will this "non-negative" test for THC immediately be subjected to a GC/MS screen for confirmation or will talking to the MRO and letting him know I'm on Atripla be enough? I am not against the idea of informing my new employer of the issue and giving them a copy of the letter from my provider, but that is pretty much outing myself as HIV+, but my gut is telling me it's better to tell them before they hear anything about a positive result for TCH back from Quest. Any advice would be helpful. To be honest I am freaking out. (In the name of full disclosure I did smoke a small amount 7 days ago but have abstained since then. I am an almost daily smoker and live in a state that does not currently have a medical marijuana law in place)

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should be OK; you do have documentation showing that one of your medications can cause false positives. I would show that to the doctor or, if you show it to the potential employer, make sure that the name of the drug is not in the letter as it points to your diagnosis.

Wait and see what they say about your tests before doing anything however. It may go through on it own.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Atripla and crystal meth
Next
PrEP for HPV or is Gardasil enough?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.