Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Eye care and diabetes
Feb 7, 2014

It seems that Medicare will cover eye exams for those with diabetes and/or other maladies that effect eye health. I've been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus type 2 and, at one point, diagnosed with AIDS since my CD4 fell below 200. I have an appointment at the optometry clinic of my local university hospital. What do I have to do to get Medicare to cover the costs of my eye exam?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Medicare does cover it. Here is what they say:

"Yearly eye exam How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers a yearly eye exam for diabetic retinopathy by an eye doctor who's legally allowed to do the test in your state. Who's eligible?

All people with Medicare who have diabetes are covered. Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor's services, and the Part B deductible applies. In a hospital outpatient setting , you pay a copayment ."

Make sure the doctor is aware that you are requesting "the annual eye exam that Medicare covers for persons with diabetes.

Previous
CD4 UP TO 0.600
Next
Basics of HIV treatment coverange by insurance companies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.