Eye care and diabetes

It seems that Medicare will cover eye exams for those with diabetes and/or other maladies that effect eye health. I've been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus type 2 and, at one point, diagnosed with AIDS since my CD4 fell below 200. I have an appointment at the optometry clinic of my local university hospital. What do I have to do to get Medicare to cover the costs of my eye exam?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Medicare does cover it. Here is what they say:

"Yearly eye exam How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers a yearly eye exam for diabetic retinopathy by an eye doctor who's legally allowed to do the test in your state. Who's eligible?

All people with Medicare who have diabetes are covered. Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor's services, and the Part B deductible applies. In a hospital outpatient setting , you pay a copayment ."

Make sure the doctor is aware that you are requesting "the annual eye exam that Medicare covers for persons with diabetes.

CD4 UP TO 0.600
Basics of HIV treatment coverange by insurance companies