Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Small Company
Jan 29, 2014

Hello, I have always been covered medically through a school systems group insurance. However, recently I have changed jobs. I now work for a small company who do offer benefits for their employees but only 15 take advantage. My question is: If I choose to sign up for their insurance will their rates go up? I am currently taking Complera, which retails for $2500 a month. I remember years ago reading a post on here where the employer found out that a particular employee was running up the rates. Is that possible or better yet is that legal?

Response from Mr. Chambers

You raise a couple of issues in your questions. You ask if your joining the small group plan can affect the group rates. Chances are, it will not have an effect since most insurance companies pool groups of that size with many other similar groups.

There may some exceptions to that depending on what state you live in. There are some state insurance laws that allow insurance carriers to adjust the rate annually on a group based on the current make-up of the group. Where that occurs, however, the carrier is usually prohibited from increasing the rates more than a set percentage by law, such as no more than a 10% increase.

You also mentioned a case where the employer found out that a specific employee and his or her medical bills were high enough to cause the group rate to go up. Employers are generally not able to discover which employees are running large medical bills, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It does, however, mean that such cases are extremely rare and usually the information is given out illegally. Employers do not have the right to know why an employee is incurring medical charges nor is having a lot of medical charges a valid reason to terminate someone.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Can Truvada or Isentress cause diluted urine samples
Next
HIV Dementia & The Workplace

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.