Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insuring HIV+ patient and the "Guaranteed Issue" in the new Act (ACA)
Jan 29, 2014

Dear Jacques,

Hope you are doing great.

I am writing to you because i read on the news about the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA)" and its clause regarding the "Guaranteed Issue" ( http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf) on page 36.

In said clause it states that insurance companies may not refuse to insure patients with prexisting conditions, such as HIV.

That being said, and due to the fact that im HIV positive, I wanted to ask you if any USA based Health Care Insurance provider cannot refuse to insure with due to my preexisting condition.

I am looking for a Health Care Insurance Plan (USA and also International coverage) which must accept preexisting conditions (due to the mentioned ACA act) and wanted to ask you if there where any major insurance companies that are already putting into effect what is stipulated in said ACA act.

Thank you very much!

best regards,

Joe

Response from Mr. Chambers

Joe, the Affordable Care Act and the part dealing with pre-existing conditions went into effect January 1, 2014. Between now and the end of the Open Enrollment period of March 31, 2014, you may purchase health insurance and your HIV status cannot be used to refuse you coverage or increase your premiums.

If you go to www.healthcare.gov, you can get started finding the right plan for you and whether the government will be able to help with the premium costs. If you live in a state that is operating its own health insurance exchange, the website above will guide you to it.

In addition, in many states, a Ryan White program will help pay your portion of the insurance premiums as well.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Quickly Losing Hope
Next
Is this any kind of disease.?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.