Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Being forced into mailer order perscriptions
Jan 20, 2014

I an employed by a NY company but live in another state. Recently i was denised my antiviral perscription renewal, even though my Insurance Provider hasn't changed, and told that the med could only be ordered through mail delivery and that it would take 48 hours for the approval and another 7 to 10 business days for the actual delviery. When I mentioned that I was nearly out of medication, and even after my Dr. called and told the Insurance Company that they were putting my health at risk, they said they would submit an overide request and that any such over ride would take 3 business days and that basically I'd have to find my own meds and pay full price for them until they approved and fulfilled my perscription. Meanwhile the local pharmacy didn't want to agree to provide a few days worth of meds. After a full melt down in the pharmacy they agreed to give me 3 days.

I guess my questions is . .. .can I be forced into the mail order only option. Is the NY law or the employee or does it apply to the address of the patient? Also, I'm nearly out of medicine again and I have no hope that CVS Caremark will be able to straighten this out anytime soon. Is there any advice on how to get medicine while they are working through their approval processes (even though I've had CVS Caremark for years.)?

Response from Mr. Chambers

In 2012, New York enacted a law prohibiting Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs) from requiring insured people to buy their medications through mail order.

According to the attached article, some last minute amendments may have reduced the law's impact.

Check with a local HIV pharmacy and/or clinic as they will be able to tell you whether that law will help you in your situation. attached article,

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
kissed someone with aids
Next
Quickly Losing Hope

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.