Work place Drug & Alcohol Testing

Hi, I just gave a Urine sample for Drug & Alcohol testings at my work place. Im HIV positive & pregnant and taking ART. The Dr that took my sample said he has seen my results and will be confirmed in the US. I m a Papua New Guinean, living in PNG.The Dr asked me if I m on any medication and I said No. As I do not want to disclose my status to anyone due to stigma. Should i have told him I was on ART ? Please help.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You have already told him no, so, unless you can be in contact with that doctor, just wait to see what happens. Probably, like most employers here, they are only testing for illicit drugs, and he asked about medications because some will cause the test to give a false positive.

If they question the results of that test and in the future, I would suggest if asked that by a doctor, ask him/her where that information goes. You can say that you are taking medication, but you don't want the details to get back to your workplace. Chances are, those details don't go anywhere except to the doctor.

Good luck, Jacques

employer/ insurance confidentiality
Social Security Disability