Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Open Enrollment for Long Term Disability.
Nov 14, 2013

I have the opportunity to enroll in Long Term Disability at work. I obviously have a pre-existing condition. They offer the LDT without answering any health questions. Should elect to get the LDT or will I have problems down the road if I need it. I have heard people with HIV/pre-existing conditions have problems actually being approved for it when they need it. What are your thoughts on this??

Response from Mr. Chambers

My advice is to take it. Yes, some people do have to fight to get their benefits when they become disabled, but that happens with all types of disabilities. That's not HIV so much as the companies are profit-making corporations that don't like paying out money they don't have to.

As long as you make sure your symptoms, restrictions, and limitations are well documented in your medical records, you should be OK. This is most important for HIV since symptoms are often subjective such as pain, fatigue, digestive disorders, side effects of medication, etc.)

Chances are as a new enrollee in LTD, your plan will impose a Pre-Existing Conditions Limitation provision. Read yours carefully. The typical provision defines a pre-existing condition which is usually anything you saw a doctor, was tested, or took medication for in the three (sometimes six) months prior to becoming covered.

The provision will also list a time period during which pre-existing claims are not covered. That usually is twelve months.

That means that, if you have a pre-existing condition as defined in the plan, a claim due to that condition will not be covered if it is filed in your first twelve months of coverage. If it is filed after you have been covered for twelve months, it will be covered.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
police officer with hiv
Next
HIV and FMLA paper work

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.