Open Enrollment for Long Term Disability.

I have the opportunity to enroll in Long Term Disability at work. I obviously have a pre-existing condition. They offer the LDT without answering any health questions. Should elect to get the LDT or will I have problems down the road if I need it. I have heard people with HIV/pre-existing conditions have problems actually being approved for it when they need it. What are your thoughts on this??

Response from Mr. Chambers

My advice is to take it. Yes, some people do have to fight to get their benefits when they become disabled, but that happens with all types of disabilities. That's not HIV so much as the companies are profit-making corporations that don't like paying out money they don't have to.

As long as you make sure your symptoms, restrictions, and limitations are well documented in your medical records, you should be OK. This is most important for HIV since symptoms are often subjective such as pain, fatigue, digestive disorders, side effects of medication, etc.)

Chances are as a new enrollee in LTD, your plan will impose a Pre-Existing Conditions Limitation provision. Read yours carefully. The typical provision defines a pre-existing condition which is usually anything you saw a doctor, was tested, or took medication for in the three (sometimes six) months prior to becoming covered.

The provision will also list a time period during which pre-existing claims are not covered. That usually is twelve months.

That means that, if you have a pre-existing condition as defined in the plan, a claim due to that condition will not be covered if it is filed in your first twelve months of coverage. If it is filed after you have been covered for twelve months, it will be covered.

Good luck, Jacques

police officer with hiv
HIV and FMLA paper work