Question about receiving inheritance

I have been on Medicare and SSD for 19 years. Poz 21 years. Been receiving county asst. in NV., now Medi-cal in CA. Being low income I have been on ADAP as well and section 8 housing voucher. My Dad just passed away last week, and left me a large inheritance close to 800K. I know once the estate if settled I will be knocked off Housing and Medi-care which is zero co-pay with my low income. My question, is ADAP based on monthly income or income and assets, will I be knocked off the program. That is really my only concern right now is the ADAP as the meds are expensive. I know I will have to get insurance. My last T-cell count was 239. It has always been low, plus taking heart meds. What steps should I be taking at this time if any. I want to try and keep my meds with out a lapse. My lawyer is trying to hold off with putting the estate together so I can get information. Any info would help me a lot. Stressed and depressed.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm sorry about the loss of your father, but your inheritance will not be a burden. ADAP is your main concern, and ADAP in California only uses your taxable income to determine eligibility. I'm not a tax counsel but it is my understanding inheritances are not income taxable, so your ADAP will continue.

Your Medicare and SSDI will not be affected either.

You will lose your Medi-Cal (Medicaid in California). You may try to apply for a Medicare Supplement, although that may be difficult since you may not be eligible for a Special Enrollment on that. However, you do have until December 7 to adjust your Medicare coverage, either by changing your Medicare Part D Prescription Plan (which ADAP will pay for) or by switching your original Medicare for a Medicare Advantage Plan which includes both HMOs and PPOs to choose from. Your assets from the estate will likely keep you from qualifying for the Low Income Subsidy on the Part D program or any of the Medicare Savings Programs.

But your ADAP will be OK. Jacques

slaughter house
effect of dexamethasone injection on hiv ag\ab test