The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coverage through the ACA
Oct 30, 2013

Someone asked you if they could get coverage now through the ACA and this was your answer: I'm sorry to say that the Affordable Care Act only deals with health insurance that helps pay for medical bills. It does not apply to Long Term Care, Disability policies, or Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policies.

Are you sure about that? I'm 45 and have been on ssdi for 10 years. I want to get a job and private insurance and I was hopefully waiting for the ACA to kick in. Will I not be able to buy health insurance because I have hiv?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Yes, you will be able to purchase a health insurance policy under ACA. As I recall, that was answering a question about whether disability insurance was available for HIV+ persons.

ACA is wonderful in that, for the first time, someone with a medical history or condition will be able to buy health insurance.

However, it does not extend to other types of coverage such as disability, which pays a monthly benefit when you can't work, or life insurance.

Since you have been on SSDI for ten years, I assume you have Medicare. Unfortunately, ACA does not extend to the Medigap policies people on Medicare buy to supplement their Medicare.

Attached is a link to the page which explains when you have a guaranteed right to buy a Medigap policy. I'm sorry but ACA does not change that. Attached

Leaving work due to disablity
short term assistance?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint