Coverage through the ACA

Someone asked you if they could get coverage now through the ACA and this was your answer: I'm sorry to say that the Affordable Care Act only deals with health insurance that helps pay for medical bills. It does not apply to Long Term Care, Disability policies, or Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policies.

Are you sure about that? I'm 45 and have been on ssdi for 10 years. I want to get a job and private insurance and I was hopefully waiting for the ACA to kick in. Will I not be able to buy health insurance because I have hiv?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Yes, you will be able to purchase a health insurance policy under ACA. As I recall, that was answering a question about whether disability insurance was available for HIV+ persons.

ACA is wonderful in that, for the first time, someone with a medical history or condition will be able to buy health insurance.

However, it does not extend to other types of coverage such as disability, which pays a monthly benefit when you can't work, or life insurance.

Since you have been on SSDI for ten years, I assume you have Medicare. Unfortunately, ACA does not extend to the Medigap policies people on Medicare buy to supplement their Medicare.

Attached is a link to the page which explains when you have a guaranteed right to buy a Medigap policy. I'm sorry but ACA does not change that. Attached

Leaving work due to disablity
short term assistance?