Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Leaving work due to disablity
Oct 30, 2013

I have been on an extended leave of abscence from my job and I have applied for both LTD and SSDI. My LTD was denied but I am appealing with help of an attorney. My SSDI is still under review. I received a letter from my employer stating that if I don't return to work at the end of my leave, that I will be forced to resign or be terminated. Is one option better than the other?

Response from Mr. Chambers

There is no real distinction. Either one ends the employer-employee relationship. If you don't want the "history" of a termination, you can resign. If you do, I recommend, although it's not a major thing, that your letter state you are resigning due to your medical condition which prevents you from performing your job duties.

Note that this should have no effect on your eligibility for LTD benefits.

Don't forget that you can continue your health insurance through COBRA. Check with your state's Office of AIDS; they may help pay your COBRA premiums.

Also, check your life insurance from work. Many of them offer a Disability Waiver of Premium which, with filing some paperwork, will keep your life insurance in force without premium payment.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Kidney Concerns
Next
Coverage through the ACA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.