Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

drug test
Sep 24, 2013

I've been working in my company for almost 6 years, I don't apply for any other position. Lately my employer has given me some form to fill, I understand from insurance company. I believed all of us employees are insured already and only I got those papers now. HR claims that is just something insurance company wants me to do, it nothing changes, it's not because of my sickdays (I was off because of stress and depression)but I HAVE TO fill it and give it to my HR. My questions are: can they just like that force me to fill that papers? What if I don't want that insurance? Can I say 'No, thank you' or I have to fill it? May be that just an excuse to make a drug test to me, for example? Is the drug test the next step if I gave back this form? I'm nervously waiting for your answer. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You need to know what the form is for. Why do you "HAVE TO" fill it out? Why do they want it? If it is a health questionnaire, there must be a reason for it, and there could be some repercussions from completing it.

I suggest you just act confused and say you haven't applied for anything so you don't understand what it is for and why you have to complete it. If they try to blame the insurance company, ask for the name and number of the agent or company so you can find out more.

If your employer provides group health insurance, they cannot refuse you coverage because of a medical condition, but you probably also don't want the employer to see what might be on that form.

Ask what the questionnaire is for, if it is not labelled on the questionnaire itself. If it's coverage you don't need, ask to sign a waiver of coverage, stating it was offered to you and you are refusing it.

I also would "casually" check with your co-workers and see if they are covered for health insurance through the employer.

Thank you for asking; you should not just complete anything they give you without understanding why.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Hotel Being Sold
Next
Joining the Air Force

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.