The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

study in usa/canada
Sep 18, 2013

hi dear expert, my friend is planning to do phd in usa/canada for 5 years as an international student. is there any problem in usa or canada (please specify separately)for having hiv? for usa visa does one need to test for hiv or they just skip any hiv test to be done? what about canada? please help. regards.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Since your friend will be in Canada more than six months there may be a problem as a physical exam, with an HIV test is required. See the requirements for Canada here. Canada here.

For the US, the restrictions on entering the country with HIV were lifted in 2010, so there should not be an issue.

Good luck, Jacques

SSDI Hearing ALJ
Infectious Disease & Visa Application

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint