Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SSDI Hearing ALJ
Sep 18, 2013

I have been HIV for 26 years and had to stop working due to Peripheral Neuropathy and Fatigue. SSA denied initial claims. I hired attorney to handle appeal. I received notice from my SSDI Attorney today that my hearing date has been scheduled for January of 2014. What should I expect my attorney to do before this date to give me the best chance of approval? What will happen during the hearing with the ALJ? I knew this date would eventually happen but scared to death.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am glad you retained an attorney at the Administrative Law Judge level of appeal I believe you definitely need one.

Now that the date has been sent your attorney should shortly review your file, get what is needed from the Social Security file, and go over what you should expect to happen.

The judge has been assigned and, hopefully, your attorney is familiar with that judge and what is the best way to present your case.

These hearings, although they are similar to court hearings, they are usually more informal. The judge, you, and your attorney will be there, and the hearing will be recorded. Sometimes, the judge will have a vocational "expert" there to discuss what types of jobs you can and can't do, and, occasionally, others but not usually.

Your attorney has been busy with other cases while yours was working through the system, but you should be able to contact the attorney's office now and get an update and even meet with the attorney before the hearing.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
I made mistake
Next
study in usa/canada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.