SSDI Hearing ALJ

I have been HIV for 26 years and had to stop working due to Peripheral Neuropathy and Fatigue. SSA denied initial claims. I hired attorney to handle appeal. I received notice from my SSDI Attorney today that my hearing date has been scheduled for January of 2014. What should I expect my attorney to do before this date to give me the best chance of approval? What will happen during the hearing with the ALJ? I knew this date would eventually happen but scared to death.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am glad you retained an attorney at the Administrative Law Judge level of appeal I believe you definitely need one.

Now that the date has been sent your attorney should shortly review your file, get what is needed from the Social Security file, and go over what you should expect to happen.

The judge has been assigned and, hopefully, your attorney is familiar with that judge and what is the best way to present your case.

These hearings, although they are similar to court hearings, they are usually more informal. The judge, you, and your attorney will be there, and the hearing will be recorded. Sometimes, the judge will have a vocational "expert" there to discuss what types of jobs you can and can't do, and, occasionally, others but not usually.

Your attorney has been busy with other cases while yours was working through the system, but you should be able to contact the attorney's office now and get an update and even meet with the attorney before the hearing.

Good luck, Jacques

I made mistake
study in usa/canada