Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I made mistake
Sep 16, 2013

I work in the automotive industry for a major corporation and I disclosed to a fellow employee that I have HIV it was then told to my superiors , then the following things started to happen to start off I moved to GA from So Cal to run a retail operation that's when I told this person my status then I was told by hr that it was nobody's business but my own I felt it was the right thing to do because in my field of work you are prone to get cuts and scrapes and for fear of possibly infecting other people I though this was the best thing to do after about one month I was audited which is really strange for being in a store for such a short time but I did pass the audit then I was cornered in my office by the area controller the audited and my DM asking me if I was healthy enough to do my job and was wondering if I would Like to step down from my position and I said no this has happened three times in the last month and the stress is getting unbearable to the point of wanting to quit I have been with this company for over 18 years and in all this time I have never been treated like this want should one do in this situation I am feeling desperate

Response from Mr. Chambers

I agree that, based on what you have told me, your managers seem to have an unhealthy interest in your health. Legally, as long as you are able to do your job, they should not be doing anything because of any "perception" they may have.

I really think you should consult legal counsel about this. There are attorneys on this site who may be able to answer your questions. Also, you will find AIDS Services Organizations in Georgia at this site. Some of them should be able to refer you legal assistance.

Meanwhile, document all these encounters, including the past ones. Note the date they occurred, who was present, what was said to the best of your recollection.

Previous
Expose to hiv thru clinic asking for legal advise
Next
SSDI Hearing ALJ

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.