Insurance company disclosing information

I found the following link--http://ens.lacity.org/dod/indexpage/dodindexpage169423897_10062004.pdf. My concern is the following statement:Can my employer find out about my HIV or AIDS diagnosis from my insurance company? : An employer may also get information about insurance claims filed by workers to monitor its health insurance costs. Is this a problem I need to worry about with a plan that is not self issured.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Unfortunately, I have to agree with their answer of "maybe" but I will add the chances are extremely rare and usually involve breaking confidentiality laws.

Self-funded plans aside since they can present other problems, an insurance company cannot tell an employer the diagnosis of its employees' medical problems or identify the employees. Larger employers can obtain loss information but it does not include diagnosis. It is in the form of summaries. It may show the types of payments, x-rays, lab tests, medications, etc. but not the diagnosis behind it. It does not show the actual medications purchased and "should" not show the names of the persons incurring claims.

However, if the insurance agent and company exec are close friends, for example, no one can promise it won't be told, just that it is extremely unlikely.

In my 40 years in insurance, I have never encountered such a situation.

I wish I could guarantee your privacy will remain intact, but when humans are involved, it's impossible to promise.

Jacques

Overreacting?
Scared please help