disclosure

I have a question about privacy/ disclosure? I don't know ware to place it. I have medical insurance that covers my prescriptions, but they would only pay if I mail order my prescription under their selected company. when I received my first prescription my roommate asked me what type of medication I was receiving by mail? I feel that this method is and had violated my anonymity, and confidentiality. an you help.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I assume that nothing on the package named the medications or the reason they are used, and your room mate simply noticed it was medications and asked out of general curiosity.

That's a difficult question to answer. If you act too mysterious and secretive, you may only raise your room mate's curiosity. It is probably better to simply point to a minor ongoing problem that requires medication, chemical imbalance, asthma, allergies or whatever? Unless he/she is a med student, that should suffice.

I would suggest you keep the bottles tucked away. The names of the medications can easily lead to the reason they are prescribed.

Finally, check with your state insurance department. Some states prohibit insurance carriers from requiring use of their mail order sites, but it's not widely publicized.

good luck, Jacques

Water and hiv
On Medicare (part A and B) and getting married to a federal employee