car insurance

My husband has bought a car last year.Now he is diagnosed hiv positive 29 May,he is not working.While going through the contract,the absa insurance it stated that they can pay the capital if the patient has DREAD DISEASE:Under those diseases HIV is among them but says if HIV IS THROUGH BLOOD TRANSFUSION.NOW AM CONFUSED.CAN U PLEASE HELP.

Response from Mr. Chambers

This insurance was probably purchased at the time the car was purchased. Those policies are notoriously limited.

I don't know what state you live in, however, I would hope that under its insurance laws, such a discriminatory provision would be prohibited.

Talk to a local AIDS Service Organization in your state for a legal referral. You may also want to talk to the consumer line at your state's department of insurance.

Although insurance is generally excluded from most provisions of the Americans with Disability Act, this exclusion may be egregious enough to get their attention. An attorney can guide you with that also.

Can i contract Hiv by having sex with condom
ACA Effect on Affordability of Medicare Supplemental Insurance