The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health Insurance while on LTD
Jul 13, 2013

I work for a small company of four employees. I have been on STD since April. I am not yet able to return to work and will be starting LTD. During my STD the company continued to provide health insurance. Now that I am going on LTD does the employer have a responsibility to provide me with access to health insurance? If I am terminated because I cannot return to work how can I secure health insurance? The company is not required to provide COBRA due to it's size. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Chambers

There is no law that requires an employer to continue your health insurance while you are collecting disability.

However, since you are not eligible for Federal COBRA and you apparently are in a state that does not have a miniCOBRA statute, you may still be eligible for health insurance.

Under a federal law called HIPAA, you are guaranteed the right to purchase an individual health insurance plan regardless of your health if: You have had some sort of health insurance continuously (without a break of more than 63 days) for 18 months AND your most recent coverage was through an employer provided group plan AND you purchase the individual policy within 63 days of your group coverage ending.

The type of plan you can buy varies by the state you live in. You can find how your state handles it at this site.

Good luck, Jacques this site

Small business owner wants to hire HIV+ employee, can I obtain insurance for him?
Help me please

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint