The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

coming to work in new york. how can i get my hiv meds?
Jul 5, 2013

I work for a multinational company in the UK, the company is sending me to New York on a inter company transfer, I'm currently on Atripla since 2009, I am a very healthy individual and has never has had any issues related or unrelated to my condition having said that I need to continue my treatment in NY. my doctor will provide medication for one year but after that he cannot provide atripla any longer as I will not be a resident in the UK.

So my questions are, how can I continue the treatment? Do I need to disclose my condition to the health insurance provider? The company is small so I'm a bit reluctant to tell anyone as I don't want anyone to find out.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Based on your question, it appears that you will have health insurance while you are working in NY. As long as the health insurance is provided by your employer, you cannot be refused health coverage.

Assuming you will deal directly with the insurance company on claims issues without having to go through your employer, it would be extremely rare (and illegal) for the employer to learn what medications you are taking or what your medical condition is.

Also, connect with an AIDS Service Organization. There are several good ones in the NYC and the state. They will be able to provide more specific information about your health plan, plus you may qualify for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) which can provide your medications and supplement your insurance coverage.

Good luck, Jacques

LTD application and Health Leave
Can a insurnce company under Plan D deny vacation coverage

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint