Switching from a PPO to an HMO

I have HIV and have been on medicine slightly less than a year. I want to switch my insurance coverage at work from a PPO (Bluecross) to an HMO (Kaiser), but I am worried about any conflicts in being covered if I switch and whether it might be considered a pre-existing condition if I do so.

Response from Mr. Chambers

If you are switching plans within the same employer during an open enrollment period, then, no, you will have no problem with any pre-existing conditions issues.

Chances are you will only be able to make such changes during the open enrollment period.

The PPO will generally cost you more out of your paycheck but you will have a greater choice of providers and will be able to go directly to specialists without a referral.

If you are in southern California, I have heard good things about the Kaiser HIV clinics in Hollywood and the Cadillac location. They also have HIV treatment at other clinics as well.

I'm not recommending one over the other, however. That is a very person choice.

Jacques

INSURANCE VS INCOME
Health care