INSURANCE VS INCOME

Since being diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago, I have had ADAP, Medicaid and HASA to help with prescriptions and doctor visits. Fortunately (and unfortunately) I now make too much money for any of those programs, but not enough for private insurance. I'm being quoted min $1500+/month plus deductibles and copays (Empire Blue Cross). I feel like I've reached out to every resource, but to no avail. Is there any more affordable insurance out there for HIV, or any program out there, with prescription/medical assistance for gross $78,000/yr in NYC? FYI insurance is not offered at my place of work and my medicaid ends this month.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm not sure you will find anything cheaper in NYC. New York requires community rating and acceptance of anyone applying regardless of health. The combination has resulted in truly outrageous health insurance rates.

Hopefully, when Affordable Care starts on January 1, it may result in a softening of rates, but I can't guarantee that. Stay current on what New York is doing in setting up their health insurance exchange. That may offer some relief in 2014.

Doublecheck with Medicaid about their 250% FPL Working Disabled Program. Your income may be too high for that, but it's worth checking.

Also, check with HIV clinics and AIDS Service Organizations in NYC. I'm not very current on programs in NYC, but the city used to offer broad support for people dealing with HIV. Maybe they will know of some assistance available.

Other than that, you should try to make arrangements for payments and fees with your doctors and pharmacists or seek out some who will try to accommodate you.

Good luck, Jacques

what must be disclosed on health ins. form
Switching from a PPO to an HMO