Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FMLA, disability
May 31, 2013

I am having a very difficult time getting by at work due to a progressive, but yet undiagnosed, health condition, despite many tests and doctors. I work 32 hours per week. Every day is a struggle and I don't perform as well as I used to. My time off is spent recuperating and resting. I've come to believe my job really is bad for my health and I probably need to see if I can improve by not working. I am POZ (undetectable), but that isn't seen to be a factor.

Without any medical diagnosis, though, would I still be able to take FMLA? And, say I quit and later on I am diagnosed with a disabling disease, is there any way I could get on the disability plan I have now, at the time this condition came on?

Thank you!

Response from Mr. Chambers

FMLA is available to you provided your physician will confirm in writing you have a "serious health condition."(see definition below) The law does not require disclosure of your diagnosis, although some employers ask for it. Some employers have special forms for you and your doctor to use.

Generally under federal (some states have their own law that differ slightly) FMLA requires that the employer have 50 or more employees in the same location, and you have worked for that employer for at least twelve months and had more than 1,250 hours of work in that time.

Once you terminate, your disability plan from your employer expires. It will not pay if you become disabled after that. To protect it, you really should leave work disabled under FMLA and any short term disability your employer provides.

"The most common serious health conditions that qualify for FMLA leave are:

conditions requiring an overnight stay in a hospital or other medical care facility; conditions that incapacitate you or your family member (for example, unable to work or attend school) for more than three consecutive days and have ongoing medical treatment (either multiple appointments with a health care provider, or a single appointment and follow-up care such as prescription medication); chronic conditions that cause occasional periods when you or your family member are incapacitated and require treatment by a health care provider at least twice a year; and pregnancy (including prenatal medical appointments, incapacity due to morning sickness, and medically required bed rest)."

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Pre-Existing Condition Waiting Period
Next
insurance application asking if i have hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.