The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May 27, 2013

My gay partner and me are two HIV+ refugees under UN protection and we wanna choose our country. I want to know among USA and Canada which one is better overally and in the following topics: 1- Free medicine 2- Social support 3- Working and studying

Response from Mr. Chambers

Regarding "free medicine," Canada has a national health system which covers most people. The US is slowly moving to a form of universal , but it is still based on private insurance companies providing health insurance which is really the key to access to healthcare. You will hear good and bad about each. Try to talk to people who are under both systems. There are AIDS Service Organizations in both countries which may be able to help.

For access to medications alone, all states in the US have ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program)programs which use federal money (plus state money in some states) to provide access to AIDS medications. Although funded by federal dollars, the programs are administered by the states and their range and accessibility vary greatly by state. Some have waiting lists; others accept all eligible with long forumlaries of AIDS medications plus many others. Again, explore the ADAP programs in the states you are considering.

For social support, working, and studying, that will depend on where within the countries you settle and what fields you intend to pursue. I'm afraid I can't give you much guidance there other than to recommend you use the internet resources and talk to individuals and organizations in various areas.

Good luck and welcome to North America, whichever you choose.


Ars symptoms likely?
Pre-Existing Condition Waiting Period

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint