Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIPPA Hospital mistake, Hippa, Hippa
May 8, 2013

May,10 2006 was admitted to a major university teaching hospital Temp 104.5F BP 70/50. Treated badly by a resident and a surgeon. Seems I had a mouse infestation in my silverware drawer and I had Schigaiia. While in the ER a resident ask "you had an HIV test 5 years ago DO I NEED TO REPEAT IT. 4 days later 3 room changes. day The first one I requested they gave me a roommate coming off a bender and reaked of booze. I have been in recovery since since 1979. 2 was taken to an office and signed the informed consent form for HIV Testing. Had to move to a room with a room mate on a vent and the family was there 24/7 making the decision to unplug. Moved again. Fourth day was Before I went home I asked for test results the Attending looked over my chart and said EVERYTHING IS NEGATIVE!. Wait for the pause!!! June 6th my regular doctors nurse called me that he wanted me to come in for a follow asked me to come in after hours that day. I knew what it was, Someone recorded my test results wrong, in that months time I infected my partner. the following month went for my first clinic appointment YEA I had attitude but the doctor won me over a wonderful caring man. Where I worked I was laid off from the job I wanted to retire from. I loved it. They said they where changing things and I no longer for there profile. They where in talks with the insurance carrier for the next years contract. The Insurance company can not say who but can say there is an POZ person on staff. Being the only gay male and having been in the hospital. YES should have sued but did hill since then, Depression, and now almost 61 and out of work. YES Adap is paying my COBRA Health is good, Next job 9 months I walked after the 3 woman said I harrssed her. Next Job verbal abuse I walked wrote the president of the corporation got my job back. They then trasfered me to a 3rd shift position 6 day a week 9-10 hours a day. Stress 2 sons Marines 7 deployments in 8 years total. Depression, Migraines. anxiety, CSR,(Centrous serous retinapthy) stress induced. TRUST me I could go on Thank God for my partner of 17 years and his other partner of 35 I would be on the street. My dealing by not dealing backfired on me totaled the car and discovered suspended licence , insurance, registration. HIPPA is a farce

Response from Mr. Chambers

HIPAA, like all laws, attempt to correct a problem but are never 100% successful.

You should contact an attorney or an legal services agency that deals with HIV/AIDS persons. I don't know the number of employees at the job you most enjoyed, but you may have illegal disclosure issues with the hospital as well as your health insurance agency. You need to speak with an attorney about them both.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
hiv 1 and 2 p24 combo test
Next
hiv symptoms and testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.