insurance coverage.

First of all, thanks for all your information on here. I recently left my job and am paying around $400 a month to keep my health insurance. I have this for one year. Mu question is, I was offered a new job, but the company does not offer insurance yet. It is in the works. When do they legally need to offer insurance to full time employees under Obamacare? Also is there a cheaper way to have insurance until then? Also when the new company does offer insurance, will I have a problem due to HIV costs? Thanks

Response from Mr. Chambers

Until January 1, 2014, there really is no alternative for you other than COBRA. You may want to check with an AIDS Service Organization in your state as some states have programs to help people with HIV/AIDS with their insurance premiums.

Under Obamacare, employers aren't required to offer health insurance unless there are more than 50 employees, and it is possible that some over that size may attempt to avoid offering it. Chances are, however, most will offer something.

For employers with under 50 employees they may or may not offer group coverage. Either way, coverage will be available to you, either through your employer or through the exchanges being set up in each state. Based on your income and family size, there may be subsidies to help reduce the premiums you have to pay.

After January 1, 2014, your HIV status will have no affect on your ability to buy health insurance or affect the cost of it whether it is individual or through an employer.

Meanwhile, hang onto your COBRA as long as possible. Although HIV is reasonably well controlled, you never know what might happen. Even people with HIV have accidents.

Good luck, Jacques

Hiv result is negative
HIPAA