Changing jobs

I'm hoping to get this new job at a law firm. My current insurance is Cigna and I see a wonderful dr. I pay nothing out of pocket because of a card he gives me that picks up the balance left that insurance doesn't cover. About $70. Question is. When I get my new job I have benefits with them but sometimes you have to wait before you can sign up. My next scheduled appointment is June 6 with my specialist and I just don't know what steps to take. I get my RX filled monthly. What steps should I take about making my change and keeping my RX filled until my new insurance is in effect? I'm really scared. I'm on stribild. Been on it a few months now. Please help. Any advice is good advice. Thank you for all that you do to keep us affected at ease.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Changing jobs should not be a major issue as long as you are coming from employer-provided insurance to employer-provided insurance. If that is the case, there is no reason for concern, but I understand your concern.

First, you need to know some things about your new coverage. If you have already been offered and accepted the new position, the employer should be willing to provide the information: (1) You need to know the probation or waiting period before the new insurance becomes effective to know how long you will need COBRA. (2) You need to know if you have to use panel or preferred providers under the new plan and, if so, obtain a directory of providers.

You should keep your old insurance through COBRA until the new insurance takes effect. I do recommend you refill all your prescriptions all the way up until the COBRA ends and the new one starts, and, if possible, gauge it so you have at least one month's supply of medications when your new coverage starts. That should be enough time to work out any paperwork glitches so you don't have to go without medication.

There should be no pre-existing conditions limitations or waiting period as long as you have the old insurance up to within 63 days of the new insurance starting, and provided you were covered under the old policy at least as long as the new policy's pre-existing conditions waiting period, which can't be more than 12 months, 6 months in some states.

Whether or not, you will be able to continue to see the same doctor is up the the new insurance and what type it is and whether your doctor is part of their network. You should be able to check that out ahead of time too.

Good luck, Jacques

reading personal information about co workers
Pap smear & hpv