Best way to secure insurance after employment

I resigned my position in May 2012 and my employer is covering my insurance costs until I turn 60 in July 2014. i am receiving disability retirement benefits from CalSTRS. I will be eligible for the school districts medical retirement program but my understanding is that it is prohibitively expensive and I may find less costly coverage. If I tell a prospective insurance company that i am HIV positive they pretty much just hang up. Do I have to disclose my status when submitting an application? Can't i just "get diagnosed" once i am approved? I prefer to be honest but if honesty comes at such an exorbitant cost I will certainly consider "fudging" the truth.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should not lie on a health insurance application.that opens a loophole that allows the insurance company to pull your coverage out from under you just when you need it.

However, and I'm looking forward to this after years of frustration, beginning January 1, 2014, health insurance companies must accept everyone regardless of their medical condition under the federal Affordable Care Act. California's exchange is already up if you are still living in California.

To my knowledge the plans and rates aren't there yet, but you can get an idea of what it's like and find out if you qualify foe a premium subsidy.

Moving States and Transferring ADAP
medicare