Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Best way to secure insurance after employment
Apr 8, 2013

I resigned my position in May 2012 and my employer is covering my insurance costs until I turn 60 in July 2014. i am receiving disability retirement benefits from CalSTRS. I will be eligible for the school districts medical retirement program but my understanding is that it is prohibitively expensive and I may find less costly coverage. If I tell a prospective insurance company that i am HIV positive they pretty much just hang up. Do I have to disclose my status when submitting an application? Can't i just "get diagnosed" once i am approved? I prefer to be honest but if honesty comes at such an exorbitant cost I will certainly consider "fudging" the truth.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should not lie on a health insurance application.that opens a loophole that allows the insurance company to pull your coverage out from under you just when you need it.

However, and I'm looking forward to this after years of frustration, beginning January 1, 2014, health insurance companies must accept everyone regardless of their medical condition under the federal Affordable Care Act. California's exchange is already up if you are still living in California.

To my knowledge the plans and rates aren't there yet, but you can get an idea of what it's like and find out if you qualify foe a premium subsidy.

Previous
Moving States and Transferring ADAP
Next
medicare

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.