The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Additional SSDI question
Apr 2, 2013

Dear Sir,

I read the questions and responses about the SSDI letter dated Jan 21, 2013 and the additional question and response about this same matter dated Feb 21, 2013 by a different author. I do have an additional question.

In your response I read the information about POMS DI 34001.036F and the statement about having AIDS/HIV. I want to make sure I understand this. Does this mean that Social Security Disability should NEVER do a CDR if you have AIDS/HIV as a primary diagnosis on or after 1991? What if you have that diagnosis but become undetectable but still have other diagnosis's related to AIDS/HIV?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Yes, there should be no CDR (continuing medical reviews) if your primary diagnosis is HIV/AIDS. However, I can't say it never happens. I have encountered situations where the local office has told beneficiaries that since they got the CDR, they need to complete and return it, and in those cases it is still processed. .

Social Security doesn't change diagnoses once the claim is approved, so the rule still applies even if other conditions are what are keeping you from working.

By the way, I'm not sure how much longer this provision will last. With the new treatments and the successes of getting the symptoms removed or erased, it is just a matter of time before that rule is rescinded. However, given the long delay with Social Security keeping up with current medical practice, it could still be around a while.

HIV+ Risks of Multiple Myeloma
Moving States and Transferring ADAP

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint