Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STD Insurance ability to release records to employer
Mar 21, 2013

My employer has a short term disability plan through a 3rd party administrator. They want an authorization to release medical records signed. The release states the insurer is allowed to disclose the information to my employer. It states: "I understand that applicable law permits (insurer) to re-disclose (without my further authorization) any and all of my ... medical or health information ... to ... my employer and their representatives ..." What law are they referring to and where can I find it? Thanks

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am not aware of any federal law that permits this without a medical release. In fact, under HIPAA, I can't imagine it to be even possible. You certainly should question that statement before signing the release. Ask the insurance company to cite the specific law.

I would recommend you line out and initial that portion of the release and above your signature add: "I specifically prohibit the release of any of my medical information including diagnosis, treatment, or medications to my employer without my express, specific, and written consent."

Not being an attorney, I cannot promise it will work, but it usually does. Believe me, if the insurance company doesn't like your revisions, they will contact you.

Jacques

Previous
Working abroad
Next
chef/cook job

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.