Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pre-existing condition exclusion Medigap & Obama Care
Mar 6, 2013

Will the pre-existing condition exclusion remain after Obamacare goes into effect for disabled people on Medicare under the age of 65? I live in Florida and am unable to purchase Medigap insurance. Ryan White stopped covering all physician and Rx copays that are less than $9 per Rx in my area. I am finding it increasingly difficult to pay these expenses as I take 22 meds and see the doctor often. I am afraid of Medicare Advantage HMO's because the co-pays and uncovered expenses seem endless.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Unfortunately, Medigap policies are exempt from ACA (Obamacare): "Retiree-only and "excepted health plans" such as dental plans, long-term care insurance, or Medigap, are exempt from the Affordable Care Act insurance reforms."(http://www.healthcare.gov/)

Access to Medigap policies for disabled persons under age 65 is not addressed under federal law, so insurance carriers require medical underwriting and disabled persons are denied.

As a result many states have legislated an open enrollment period for people under 65 similar to that under federal Medicare law open enrollment for persons age 65 and older, but Florida is not one of them.

That, however, shouldn't affect your medication issues since Medigap plans do not cover medications. They are covered under Part D - Prescription Drug Plans. It sounds like the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), state plans funded by the Ryan White Care Act, in Florida has had to cut back due to lack of funds.

A quick check of the Florida ADAP website shows that they have reduced the number of medications covered. Also, as of August, 2012, the last date reported, Florida ADAP had a waiting list of 518 people, and they have recently cut pilot programs and reduced copays.

I just read a statement from your governor stating the economic improvement in Florida has made it possible to spend money. He was speaking of expanding Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, but hopefully, AIDS organizations are lobbying for more money from the state to supplement federal ADAP funds.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Health insurance
Next
hiv or what

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.