Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health insurance
Mar 5, 2013

I am self employed and just got new health insurance 1 month ago and last week i just tested positive. i am worried that my insurance may drop me. Can the insurance company cancel my policy?

Response from Mr. Chambers

They can only drop you if they can prove you made a material misrepresentation (lied) on the application. If the application asked your HIV status (not permitted in some states), and you answered no, and there is no medical record or other evidence that you knew that answer was false (being worried about your status when buying the insurance doesn't count), there is nothing they can do but pay your claims as long as you pay your premiums.

Be prepared for an inquiry when you submit your first HIV related claim. Also, if you tested at an anonymous test site, you should get retested on the medical record. It is not unusual for a newly insured person to have a general checkup that includes an HIV test.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Insurance Coverage Change
Next
Pre-existing condition exclusion Medigap & Obama Care

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.