Retirement & Disability

Hello Mr. Chambers, I am lucky enough to work for state government therefore I have a pension and SS to retire on as well as some savings. I do not have enough working time to receive my full retirement amount but my state (NC) offers SS leveling which will allow me to start receiving partial payments from both. Because of my age (57) and time worked (20 years) I will have my full health insurance package including drug plan until I reach SS retirement age at which time it will will become my supplemental insurance and Medicare will be my primary. My question is since I will already be in the SS system because of the leveling would it be possible to still file for disability after retirement? I will already be receiving more than the amount that disability would pay so I really only want / need the classification of being disabled because my state offers reduced property taxes and some other benefits if you have been deemed as such. Thank you, Billy

Response from Mr. Chambers

Social Security Disability is more accurately titled a Disability Pension. Due to disability it allows you access to your retirement benefits early.

You can only collect one Social Security benefit. Once you retire, there is no additional Disability benefit available from Social Security.

If your state requires a disability determination by Social Security to access the benefits from your state, then they should be willing to review you for disability even though no additional benefit is available.

You may have to speak to a supervisor as not all representatives are aware of that possibility. You may also want to have written proof that your state requires a Social Security Disability determination to access their benefits.

Good luck, Jacques

Amsterdam fail
Insurance Coverage Change