Disclosure for STD benefits

Hello, my employer offers STD, paid by them, as part of the hire packet. In order to receive benefits, Liberty Mutual requires the insured to sign a medical release authorization for records. The MRA states they can give my confidential patient info to my employer, as well as other insurance companies. I have been positive for almost thirty years and have tried very hard to keep my health and healthcare private. I do not want to take the risk of my status "getting out," but feel that by signing the MRA I am taking a big risk and that there might be future problems with getting insurance, etc. So, should I not file a claim to avoid the MRA? It feels like benefits are available IF you sell your soul, and your medical records . Thanks for your time. Kevin K.

Response from Mr. Chambers

That is quite normal of insurance companies. To adjudicate a claim they do need access to your medical records.

However, I question the release that allows them to discuss your medical information with your employer. I can understand the need to discuss this with other insurers and their re-insurers, but I cannot think of a reason why your employer would need to know more about your claim than you have filed an STD (Short Term Disability) claim.

I am not an attorney, so I can't verify the success of this, but most people who find something in a release that they do not agree with will line out the part they don't agree with and initial it.

You may want to contact the claims representative to review their reasons for wanting to be able to talk about your condition with your employer and see how willing they are to go with a release without the employer provision.

Good luck, Jacques

Medical Records and Insurance
Life Insurance Policy in effect BEFORE HIV Diagnosis