Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Disclosure for STD benefits
Feb 6, 2013

Hello, my employer offers STD, paid by them, as part of the hire packet. In order to receive benefits, Liberty Mutual requires the insured to sign a medical release authorization for records. The MRA states they can give my confidential patient info to my employer, as well as other insurance companies. I have been positive for almost thirty years and have tried very hard to keep my health and healthcare private. I do not want to take the risk of my status "getting out," but feel that by signing the MRA I am taking a big risk and that there might be future problems with getting insurance, etc. So, should I not file a claim to avoid the MRA? It feels like benefits are available IF you sell your soul, and your medical records . Thanks for your time. Kevin K.

Response from Mr. Chambers

That is quite normal of insurance companies. To adjudicate a claim they do need access to your medical records.

However, I question the release that allows them to discuss your medical information with your employer. I can understand the need to discuss this with other insurers and their re-insurers, but I cannot think of a reason why your employer would need to know more about your claim than you have filed an STD (Short Term Disability) claim.

I am not an attorney, so I can't verify the success of this, but most people who find something in a release that they do not agree with will line out the part they don't agree with and initial it.

You may want to contact the claims representative to review their reasons for wanting to be able to talk about your condition with your employer and see how willing they are to go with a release without the employer provision.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Medical Records and Insurance
Next
Life Insurance Policy in effect BEFORE HIV Diagnosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.