Cigna Group Life/Disability

I have been out on LTD for nine months now due to HIV related fatigue and neuropathy. Recieving payments from Cigna with no problems on my end but they are bombarding my doctor with paperwork. For 2013 my employer (large company with thousands of employees) changed everyone's benefits package...Medical, Dental, Vision and Life. Even though I am on LTD I still have group benefits for 24 months because I was in management. My life insurance is 2x my salary. Today I received a letter from the life insurance division of Cigna stating that since my employer made changes to policies this year Cigna was evaluating all policies and since I am on LTD they need more medical information and that they would be working with my disability claims manager. I must fully cooperate or both policies could be cancelled. My question is can the life insurance department of Cigna legally get my medical records from the disabity manager and threaten to cancel both? I can live without the life insurance but not without my disability payments. I apologize for such a long explanation.

Response from Mr. Chambers

No apology necessary, it's a complicated issue. I don't disagree about the volume of paperwork; it's a lot. However, they have a right to require information to determine and maintain your disability.

Your question is can one department of CIGNA get your medical information from another department. The answer is in the medical release you signed when you filed the claim. Hopefully, you kept a copy and can check to see where they are allowed to share the information.

Keep in mind, however, that if they can't get it from the other department, they will seek it from your doctors.

As an aside, most doctors understand the importance of this type of information to your continued financial assistance. I have encountered a few who resent it and feel it's not part of their job. Unfortunately, in today's insurance and government world, paperwork is a major part of every doctor's job. I hope medical schools are teaching that.

Good luck, Jacques

ADA and paid/unpaid leave
can life be prolonged at Aids last stage?