Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ADA and paid/unpaid leave
Jan 23, 2013

I work for a large private university with generous benefits. Due to fatigue and the need for multiple medical visits monthly I requested an ADA accommodation to change my shift hours and requested that I be allowed to make-up the 2-3 hours the medical visits each take at other non-regular shift hours or on the weekends (which I occasionally work as part of my regular shifts.) Our EEO office approved the shift change on a temporary 6-month basis but refused the accommodation to allow me to make-up the time at other times stating that I would have to use sick time for the medical visits and that once I had exhausted my sick time then I would be allowed unpaid leave time for my medical visits. Does this ring true or can I fight this? Thank you!

Response from Mr. Chambers

You can always appeal it, however, you should do it cautiously. It is the employer that decides what is "reasonable accommodation" and what isn't. If you appeal, you may want to ask how making up the time rather than using it as unpaid leave (after the sick leave is exhausted) is considered unreasonable.

They are at least willing to let you use sick leave and, afterward, consider it leave time, even though unpaid, so at least they are offering something.

If your company is large enough to have an EEO office, you may want to visit them in person, if possible, and informally ask why they are disallowing the make-up time. I suspect they are concerned about setting a precedent for other employees wanting time off, but see what they say.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Self-funded ppo meds coverage
Next
Cigna Group Life/Disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.