FA pre-employment physical

I am in the final stages of a Flight Attendant position. Currently I am in the background check phase, next would be to pass the physical. Does my recent HIV positive diagnosis (3 weeka) effect my chances of employment? Can they not hire me based on the information obtained in the physical? I am concerned because I am applying for other (pharma jobs the irony) jobs, so should I just give up my FA dream?

Thank you for your help.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am assuming your employer comes under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as I cannot imagine an airline small enough to be exempt.

Under ADA, they can require a pre-employment physical, HOWEVER, only after a job offer has been made. That job offer can only be rescinded if the exam shows you are unable to perform the duties of the job. Being HIV positive does not prevent you from doing the duties of flight attendant. Serving food is not an issue for persons with HIV; it's not that transmittable.

If the airline and examiner act appropriately, the doctor should tell the airline that either you can do the job or cannot. There should be no discussion beyond that about anything in your health history.

One thing, while being HIV+ shouldn't prevent you being hired, lying about your condition could get you fired, so you need to be honest with the doctor if the issue comes up. If it comes up, every time HIV is mentioned, I suggest you say, "But it has no bearing on my ability to do the job."

If the issue of your HIV status comes up, you should discuss with him/her how much information will go to your employer.

HIV should not keep you from getting this job.

Good luck, Jacques

please answer asap id appreciate it much i cant get my mind off this
Pre-Existing Conditions and Workplace Insurance Later