ACA and Cobra

I am currently on LTD and still have health insurance with former employer until about April of 2014. My question is should I take Cobra after coverage ends or just purchase on the open market because pre-existing conditions will no longer be a problem. Confused about how ACA will effect Cobra and HIPPA policies. I live in South Carolina BTW.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You are correct that the HIPAA guarantee issue policies won't be needed when ACA kicks in on 01-01-2014.

The ACA policies aren't expected to be released to the exchanges to open until October 2013. At that time, you will want to compare costs and benefits with you COBRA cost and benefits. Also, based on your income, you may able to qualify for financial assistance with the premiums under ACA.

Watch your resources for news in the coming year as more information will be released. They are now setting the minimum benefits, but that will vary by state. By keeping up with the news, you will be ready when it's time to act.

Good luck, Jacques

Good luck, Jacques

Nurse told media I was HIV Positive
Aetna Health Insurance