widow needs to find out how to collect husbands benefits

my husband worked for a big company and was vested into the company after 10 years. He died 7 years ago. When and how do I go about collecting the money he would get every month? Am I entitled to it? Also, the company has now merged with another company. I don't know what to do. I was told he has to be 65 years old to collect and that is not until May 2013. I don't understand, please help. Thank You.

Response from Mr. Chambers

It really depends on the provisions of the pension. You need to contact the Human Relations/Benefits Department of the company that took over your husband's employer.

Most defined benefit pension plans only provide survivor coverage if your husband elected that coverage when determining how he wanted his benefits paid.

I recommend you write a letter to the Vice-President of Human Relations and/or benefits, explain the situation, ask for the status of your husband's vested pension benefit. Also, request the Summary Plan Description of the pension plan and the paperwork necessary to apply for benefits.

Good luck, Jacques

SSD and return to school
swollen lymph nodes