Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health Insurance Premiums Unaffordable
Oct 26, 2012

HI, I work for a County in Southern California that pays a portion of my medical(about $200), but our portion is increasing from about $230/mo to about $530/month. The County will not allow us to cancel our medical insurance without proof of medical insurance elsewhere. I work full time, am HIV+, earn over 300% of the Fed. Poverty Level, but my net I can barely survive off of let alone paying $530/mo for Medical. I earn about $39K gross and $23K net. I feel like those who work are penalized for working and do not qualify for Ryan White, OA-HIPP, HIPP, MMRP, etc. I can't get a individual plan because of a pre-existing condition. I am at my wits end and would like to qualify for a premium assistance program or buy an individual plan that allows pre-existing conditions and then I can cancel that and try to get on Ryan White. Any suggestions? I've already reduced my expenses as much as I can!

Response from Mr. Chambers

You have asked a difficult question, although it would have an easy answer if we were in almost any other industrialized country who all have some form of single payor health care.

You are correct that OA-HIPP is not available to persons whose employers are paying even just a portion of the premium. HIPP is a Medi-Cal program which you don't qualify for since you are working. MMRP I'm not sure of. Do you mean MRMIP, California's High Risk Health Pool? If so, it's premiums are higher than what you pay and the coverage is substantially less.

Bottom line after all that, I really don't have any alternatives for you right now. I am surprised your employer won't let you opt out of coverage without proof of other coverage. Double check that with your bargaining unit if you are part of one.

Of course, even if you could opt out, I have no alternative coverage for you. There is a Pre-Existing Conditions Insurance Plan (PCIP) but you have to be without any health insurance for six months to be eligible.

If you can hang on for another year, you will be able to buy individual coverage beginning January 1, 2014. Although there are provisions in the law that are aimed at controlling costs, the premiums that will be charged under the new law are not yet known, so it's impossible to say how "affordable" they will be.

I'm sorry I know of no premium assistance plans that will help you currently. And I don't know of any reputable plans that will cover you as an individual right now.

Far fetched answers include finding another job; find a partner or spouse whose plan would cover you. Not really good options.

I hope you are taking advantage of AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) to at least pick up the copays of many medications. If not, you can get more information on that at a local AIDS Service Organization.

I'm sorry I don't have a good solution to your problem.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Medicare Plans?
Next
HIV+ Pharmacy Tech student externing at hospital

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.