Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medicare Plans?
Oct 24, 2012

My doctor of many years recently dropped me because he would not take Medi-Cal anymore. I receive Medicare and Medi-Cal, ADAP and "extra help" pays my share of cost. I currently get care through an established HIV clinic but miss working with a private practice M.D. Should I consider going with a PPO or Medicare plan? How can I pick one that is right for me? I went to the AMA site to look for HIV doctors in this area but did not find it very helpful. There is an insurance agent at one of our ASOs but I wonder if he will steer me to my best option. Thanks for all the great advice you give.

Response from Mr. Chambers

This is the open enrollment period for Medicare so now is a good time to review your coverage.

You don't say, but I assume that you are currently on original Medicare, also called fee-for-service Medicare. While most doctors take Medicare patients, you do have to pay 20% of doctors' charges. Depending on what state you live in, you may have a chance to purchase a Medigap or Medicare Supplement Plan, but many will require medical underwriting which you would not get. Plus those supplement plans are not cheap for persons under age 65. Insurance companies know that if you are on Medicare and are under age 65, you are disabled.

During this period, you have the chance to switch to a Medicare Advantage Plan, which usually include drug coverage, as well as switch Part D Drug Plans. Not knowing what state you live in, I can't say what your choices are, although you can find them by going to www.medicare.gov and click on "Find Health and Drug Plans."

Most Medicare Advantage Plans are HMOs which limits your choice of physicians. The key is how knowledgeable the HMO's HIV doctors are.

In some areas, there are PPO Medicare Advantage Plans, and they can be good because they offer a broader choice in physicians. Get a list of what plans are available to you, then perhaps your insurance agent that volunteers for an ASO can answer which Medicare Advantage Plans have the best HIV doctors in their network.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Needle stick from HIV + & HCV + positive patient today 10-22-12
Next
Health Insurance Premiums Unaffordable

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.