Would like to move to Mexicali

i am 55 years old. i worked for a company for 35 years that cancelled my pension. It was taken over by the government PBGC but at a greatly reduced sum. I am eligiable to retire as of last may but am looking at only about $2000 or so per month.

I am considering moving to Mexicali as i have read the cost of living is quite low there.

The problem is my HIV status. I am currently taking truvada, abacavir and Nevirapine (the later two recently became generic).

My most affordable retiree medical option is Kaiser (free). But the closest location to Mexicali is El Cajon, near san diego.

do you know if i can keep a p.o. box on U.S. side, sign up for Kaiser in El Cajon and somehow figure out a way to get my medications either in person or maybe having 90 day supplies mailed to me in Mexico?

Or can i get my medications somehow reasonably in Mexico? i don't know how much these medications cost in mexico if one had to pay for them. and i don't know if there is any insurance within Mexico that i could qualify for, with drug coverage, with a pre existing condition.

I am looking for any information you might be able to give me. i have done a lot of cost of living comparisons and i can live much better for much less in Mexicali. and it is right on the border so i can cross over when i need to.

I just need to work out this medical situation. I have been poz since 1999 by the way and still healthy. My t-cells are in the 700's and i am undetectable. I have been on this current regimen for over 5 years with no problems. Hoping that maybe since the abacavir and the nevirapine recently became available in generic that their cost has been significantly reduced or that there is mexican health insurance that will take me even as a new resident.

please help. sorry to go on and on. Hopefully i am explaining myself clearing. any help appreciated. thank you very much.

Response from Mr. Chambers

The Kaiser application specifically asks for a "Street Address," You may want to confirm that requirement with Member Services. You can call Member Services as a prospective member, tell them you aren't settled in a permanent location and need to use the PO box.

Kaiser does offer a 100 day supply of medications through mail order.

I'm aware of several people living in Mexico with HIV to stretch their finances. They get their medications from US doctors and pharmacies.

I would be cautious about buying medications in Mexico, especially if extremely inexpensive.

Good luck, Jacques

RE: Generic ARV *Readers' comments welcomed
TPHA POSITIVE