Medicaid Repayment

I was diagnosed in April of 2011 then my viral load was 1.5 million and my CD4 count was 8. Then after a year of treatment my viral load is now undectable and my CD4 count is still recovering at 239. I was then on Isentress and Truvada and now I am currently on Complera and Isentress which are working great!!! No serious side effects and I am taking them as prescribe and havne't missed a dose! My only problem is now because since the doctors have brought me back from deaths door and now I am now undectable and my viral load is still 249...I am on disability and on Medicaid for the state of North Carolina. Recently, I was told by a mentor that all the money I received in Medicaid has to be paid back to the state and they will go after my estate after my death (not anytime soon :) ) I just need to know what would happen to my estate...I was told to get a job and get over Medicaid ASAP...but I have been out of work now since my diagnosis and not sure how to go back...thats another issue. The issue I really need to know abou tis about the Medicaid funding I am receiving and its need to get paid back.

Response from Mr. Chambers

The federal government has encouraged states to adopt programs which seek reimbursement from a Medicaid beneficiary's estate after death. However, because there is only a general outline, each state has adopted such programs in varying degrees. Most common is that the state will put a lien on a person's home if they are over age 55 and are in a custodial care facility for reimbursement of the money spent on the care when the beneficiary dies.

Other states are more aggressive and extend their rights of recovery. I did a quick search to see how North Carolina handles such recoveries. It appears to focus on reimbursement for money spent housing the beneficiary in a board and care facility, at least at this site. at this site.

You may want to research that manual more. The North Carolina Medicaid website seems to be fairly complete.

Note that they require you to sign agreement to that, so if you haven't signed such a document, your medical payments are probably not part of the recovery program.

Good luck, Jacques

IS 3 MONTHS TEST CONCLUSIVE FOR HIV
can an employer force you out of insurance coverage