The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting a Green Card
Oct 8, 2012

Is it true that the regulations have changed and people with HIV can now receive a green card? I am currently on a temporary resident visa in the US (H1B) and my workplace will sponsor me for a green card, I was just afraid to apply since I know blood samples are required for permanent resident status.

Response from Mr. Chambers

It is my understanding that being HIV+ is no longer an impediment to entering the US. That change may apply to green cards as well, but you need to confirm that with an immigration attorney.

There are legal services agencies around the country that should be able to answer your question. You can find a list of them on this site. Enter "AIDS Legal Services" in the search box.

Good luck, Jacques

Needle prick injury

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint