going back work on ticket to work

hello Mr Chambers, I understand that if/when one goes back to work he/she can make only > 700 per month. Now this money does it take away from what I'm getting for money on SSDI? If so why would anyone really want to work for free. Thanks in advance to the answer!

Response from Mr. Chambers

The Ticket to Work is separate from the earnings issue you raise. Ticket to Work is primarily focused on retraining and placement.

The rules about earnings while on SSDI are available to anyone trying to return to work whether or not they take the Ticket to Work Program.

First there are nine Trial Work Months. Any month you gross $720 or more will count as a Trial Work Month. (If you gross less than $720, it has no effect on your benefits at all).

Once those nine Trial Work Months are used up, then the rules shift. After that, you are not eligible for any SSDI payment in any month that you earn more than $1,010. That will continue for three years to see if you can regularly work and earn more than the $1,010 (this number changes every January).

Medicare will stay in place, but you will have to pay the Medicare Part B premium in those months you don't have an SSDI benefit to subtract it from.

Unfortunately, I have just scratched the surface. I encourage you to read Social Security's Red Book on employment. It is very comprehensive. You will find it here:

2012 Red Book: A SUMMARY GUIDE TO EMPLOYMENT SUPPORTS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES UNDER THE SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE AND SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME PROGRAMS

The most important additional thing to note is if you do try working, keep all paycheck stubs, time cards, correspondence, anything that will document when you worked and how much you made.

Good luck, Jacques

Changing private insurance state to state with HIV
Availability of ARV for expats in Mozambique