Changing private insurance state to state with HIV

As briefly as possible: I've had an individual Anthem BC/BS health plan in VA for 15 years or so but have moved to CA thinking I could simply switch the policy without underwriting. Unfortunately it seems that is not the case - they would underwrite me as if I were a new customer. This is a problem because I have the preexistng conditions: depression and migraines. If that were not enough I now believe I have HIV but am not getting tested until I can sort out this issue so it's not another issue on my medical record for them (or any other company) to decline to cover me. Are there any laws that would require Anthem to accept me in CA and/or not refuse to continue my coverage as an existing customer simply changing state of residence?

Thank you.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am not aware of any state laws requiring this, but the National Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association does ask its members to offer conversion plans to persons moving into the state from a BC/BS plan in another state. Here is a site that shows how Blue Shield of California (the two are separate in California) handles it.

The drawback there is that, historically, these are really great policies, but at least it is coverage.

Good luck, Jacques

Affordable Care Act-I don't get it
going back work on ticket to work