HIV POZ but thinking about becoming a doctor

I am HIV poz and would like to become a doctor. Can HIV poz individuals practice medicine or even be admitted to medical school. Do I have to discluse that to them?

Response from Mr. Chambers

My understanding regarding HIV+ persons in the medical field is that it depends primarily on two things. Some states have enacted legislation that restrict the medical occupations available to persons dealing with HIV, so where you live can make a difference. You may want to check the health and safety laws in your state. They are probably available on line.

The other is the specialty you intend to practice. Typically the more invasive the specialty (surgery for example) the greater the chance persons with HIV won't be allowed to practice in those fields.

This is not an area I deal with frequently so I encourage you to ask this of attorneys and doctors on this panel. There is also an article on this subject here. this subject here.

You may also want to do a web search for "Can and HIV Positive physician practice medicine?"

Good luck, Jacques

CMV IN PREGNANCY
listing my partner as my life insurance beneificiary