Loss of insurance and pharmacy benefits

I am currently on Reyataz 200mg x 2 per day, boosted by 100 mg Norvir x 1 per day, and Truvada. Undetectable VL for 15 years and T-cells in the 400-500 range. Otherwise very healthy, eat well, no smoking, drinking or drugs, exercise 4-6 x per week.

I am about to lose my job and employee health insurance, and will not have access to meds after my 3 month supply runs out. I cannot afford COBRA and am actively looking for new work in a very tight market.

I am thinking my best strategy is to split my daily med regimen in half so that I can make my 3 month supply last for 6 months in order to buy time to get a new job, insurance, and meds. I live in GA which has a very, very, very long waiting list for HIV meds.I would appreciate your thoughts on this plan of action.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm so sorry. As of July, Georgia accounted for almost 25% (459 persons) of all the people in the US on an AIDA Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). Short of suggesting you move to a state with broader AIDS Drug Assistance Programs, you may still find some assistance for your medications.

First, go online to the pharmaceutical manufacturers of your medications. If you don't find a link there, search for "Patient Assistance Programs". Most have such plans for people with little or no income, and you may be eligible for them.

Second, contact an AIDS Service Organization in your area. They can be found on this site. See what resources they have that might help you.

Third, talk to your doctor before cutting your dosage in half. That is not a wise thing to do without discussing with your physician.

Good luck, Jacques

Re: Viral Load Jump up to 933
cART, Diabetes and Wound Healing (additional info)